Surgery for piles or haemorrhoids is generally recommended only when conservative Piles Treatment methods like home remedies, diet, laxatives, etc, have failed and complications of piles has come. Based on the grade of piles or haemorrhoids there are different types of piles surgery types that are recommended by piles surgeons. The three common types of piles surgery are Rubber Band Ligation (Banding), Sclerotherapy and Haemorrhoidectomy.
Surgery type for piles varies depending on the grade of the piles and also the intensity and status of bleeding.
- If the piles is grade 2 and if there is bleeding that is worrying, piles surgery procedures like Rubber Band Ligation (also called Rubber Band Ligation or Haemorrhoid Banding) or Sclerotherapy are recommended. Both these surgery types can be performed only for internal piles.
- If the piles is of grade 3 or 4 and the bleeding is also present, the piles surgery type recommended is Haemorrhoidectomy.
- Generally, all prolapsed piles and thrombosed piles require Haemorrhoidectomy surgery.
Types of Piles Surgeries
Rubber Band Ligation
Who is Eligible for Rubber Band Ligation?
For most of the patients with Haemorrhoids or piles, and the grade is 2 and if the piles are above the dentate line, they can be treated by the above Rubber Band Ligation method. This surgical procedure is an outpatient method.
A brief about Rubber Band Ligation Surgical Procedure
- A topical anesthesia is applied in the anal/rectal region if the number of prolapsed or thrombosed piles or the tuft of veins is minimal in number.
- Sometimes if the piles number is many, the piles surgeon might decide to do banding in phases and the procedure may be performed in multiple sittings.
- The piles surgeon then inserts an anoscope into your rectal region and reaches out to the piles. An anoscope is a small tube with a light at the end which is very similar to an endoscope but a miniature one. After this, the piles surgeon inserts a tool called a ligator inside through the anoscope.
- A ligator is a tool that is used to place very small rubber bands, usually a few millimeters wide, to the base of the haemorrhoids.
How Rubber Band Ligation surgery for piles helps to treat Haemorrhoids?
- The small rubber bands placed to the base of the vein tufts cuts the blood supply to the piles.
- The haemorrhoids then dries without blood supply and then falls off along with the rubber band on its own. Usually they fall and pass out along with the stools.
- The time take for the haemorrhoids to dry after the rubber bands have been placed may take anywhere from one to two weeks.
What it feels like after undergoing Rubber Band Ligation surgery for piles?
- A slight discomfort can be felt in the bottom region after the procedure. This discomfort might last for few days.
- Passing gas often is normal after the procedure.
- Slight bleeding might occur when going to the toilet. This is not a cause to worry as it is normal.
- Feeling constipated for few days is also normal after undergoing this procedure.
What are the advantages of Rubber Band Ligation Surgery for Piles?
- It is generally an outpatient procedure and does not require any hospitalization. The entire treatment time is dependant on the number of rubber bands that are required to be placed.
- The chances of recurrence of haemorrhoids is less in this procedure.
Who is Eligible for Sclerotherapy?
Patients with grade 2 Haemorrhoids or piles are eligible for sclerotherapy surgical procedure. The eligibility is almost equal for both Rubber Band Ligation method and Sclerotherapy. This surgical procedures involved in Sclerotherapy is also an outpatient method. Surgeon prefer banding to sclerotherapy these days.
A brief about Sclerotherapy Surgical Procedure
- This procedure involves injecting a chemical solution into the vein tufts that are causing the piles.
- This chemical basically scars the veins causing the blood vessel of the piles to shrink.
- Even smaller tufts of piles can be treated using sclerotherapy.
How Sclerotherapy surgery for piles helps to treat Haemorrhoids?
- The shrunk piles basically dries up and end up falling and passing out along with the stools.
- The time take for the haemorrhoids to dry after the the sclerotherapy procedure has been carried out may take anywhere from four to six weeks.
What it feels like after undergoing Sclerotherapy surgery for piles?
- Mild pain can be felt after the procedure. This discomfort and pain might last for few days and it is quite common.
- Slight bleeding for few days after the procedure is also common.
What are the advantages of Sclerotherapy Surgery for Piles?
- It is also an outpatient procedure and does not require any hospitalization.
- No anesthesia
- The procedure comes in handy for patients with more number of prolapsed piles are found and when they are not large enough for rubber band ligation.
Who are Eligible for Haemorrhoidectomy?
Patients with grade 3 and 4 Haemorrhoids or piles are eligible for Haemorrhoidectomy surgical procedure. In other words it is a surgery for severe piles. This surgical procedure is recommended only when the piles are large and cannot be treated by rubber band ligation and sclerotherapy methods.
How to prepare for Haemorrhoidectomy Surgical Procedure?
- This procedure is not an outpatient procedure. It is a full blown surgical procedure and requires anesthesia to be administered before the surgery. It can also be done as a day care procedure.
- Your piles surgeon will fix the date for the surgery and usually ask you to avoid food for few hours before the surgery.
- Your piles surgeon will also review any medications you are taking for any other illness and may instruct you to stop certain medications if need be for recommended number of days, both before and after the piles surgery. Usually, it is the blood-thinning medications that are required to be stopped before any surgery. Your piles surgeon would know better and will advice you appropriately.
A brief about Haemorrhoidectomy Surgical Procedure
- The procedure involves opening the anus and incising the haemorrhoids out.
- Off late sophisticated medical instruments are being used which can perfectly shave off the haemorrhoid tissues from the anal region.
How Haemorrhoidectomy surgery for piles helps to treat Haemorrhoids?
- Since it directly incises the haemorrhoids causing veins, they are completely removed with the surgery.
What it feels like after undergoing Haemorrhoidectomy surgery for piles?
- Pain is a factor after the surgery as the entire haemorrhoid tissues have been completely removed. But this is not a cause to worry because effective pain killers are prescribed by the piles surgeon.
- The pain might last a few weeks after the haemorrhoidectomy procedure which is anyways normal.
What are the advantages of Haemorrhoidectomy Surgery for Piles?
- The probability of haemorrhoids returning or recurrence is very less compared to other methods of piles surgery.
- The procedure comes in handy for patients with severe piles condition.