Can you still undergo weight loss after Gallbladder Removal Surgery?
Our gallbladder is responsible for storing the excess unused bile produced by the liver in concentrated form. When this concentrated form of bile is not periodically drained out from the gallbladder, it can solidify and form stones. Severe abdominal pain is the most common sign that people experience in the presence of gallstones. In such situations, gallbladder removal surgery or cholecystectomy is the only remedy.
Bile aids in the digestion of fatty foods. Once the gallbladder is removed, the unused bile won’t be stored in it, rather it will continuously drip into the digestive system. Your digestive system will continue to function normally without a gallbladder. Although the gallbladder removal surgery might affect your weight during the initial months after the surgery, with certain lifestyle changes and diet, you can easily lose or maintain your weight in the long run.
Does gallbladder removal surgery cause weight loss?
It is quite possible that you will experience some degree of weight loss after your gallbladder has been removed. There are several reasons why this might happen, some of which are listed below.
- Removing fatty foods from your diet: After the gallbladder has been removed, your body might find it difficult to process fatty foods during the initial few days. So your surgeon might ask you to avoid fatty foods.
- Consuming only bland foods: During the recovery period, your surgeon will recommend you to eat bland foods because spicy foods can cause gastrointestinal upset.
- Eating small portions of food throughout the day: Your body won’t be able to process large portions of food immediately after the surgery. So you would be advised to eat in small portions throughout the day. This also can induce weight loss.
- Recovery period: After any surgery, you will experience pain and discomfort which will definitely affect your appetite.
- Post-procedure diarrhea: After the procedure, you might experience diarrhea which is one of the potential side effects of gallbladder removal surgery. This side effect is temporary and will improve in a few weeks’ time.
All the above-mentioned events are more likely to occur after your gallbladder removal surgery which would make you lose some weight.
Long term weight loss after the gallbladder removal surgery
Despite having your gallbladder removed, you can also lose weight if you follow the right diet and lifestyle. It is not recommended to follow short term weight loss as they aren’t healthy and they can cause problems in the long run. Rather, it is recommended to integrate your weight loss as part of an overall way of healthier living. This means being ready to opt for good dietary choices and engaging in regular physical exercises.