How to tackle Piles or Hemorrhoids during Pregnancy?
Hemorrhoids or piles are swollen blood vessels that appear around your anus when too much pressure is exerted on them. It’s not a topic that most people often like to openly talk about, but they are part of many people’s lives. Piles or hemorrhoids can affect adults and children. In women, hemorrhoids most often occur during their pregnancy period, especially during the third trimester and shortly after childbirth. Here are a few tips on how to tackle piles during pregnancy.
What causes hemorrhoids during pregnancy?
Women, during their pregnancy period, undergo a lot of physical changes. One such change is the enlargement of the uterus. When the uterus begins to get bigger as the fetus develops, it begins to press against the pelvis which in turn puts a lot of pressure on the blood vessels around the anus and rectum. Pushing during labor can worsen the condition of the hemorrhoids. But the occurrence of hemorrhoids during pregnancy is generally not harmful to the health of mother and child. Although it does not cause any harm to the mother and child, it can be a rather irritating situation for the mother during the pregnancy period.
How to avoid hemorrhoids during pregnancy?
- Make sure to keep your body hydrated always by drinking plenty of water or fresh fruit juices.
- A fiber-rich diet is recommended to avoid constipation during pregnancy. Constipation can further add to the pressure applied to the blood vessels around the anus and rectum.
- Rush to the toilet as soon as you feel the urge to go. Do not try to postpone your bathroom needs.
- A set of exercises known as ‘Kegel exercises’ are quite beneficial in strengthening the pelvic floor muscles that help in supporting and improving circulation to the rectum. Consult your doctor before starting these exercises.
- Try not to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time. Make sure to walk around for a few minutes after every hour to prevent too much stress on the anal region.
Weight gain should be appropriate as per the health of the child. This implies that pregnant women should put on healthy weight only during the time of their pregnancy.
How to tackle hemorrhoids during pregnancy?
- Sitz baths are quite beneficial in providing relief for hemorrhoids during pregnancy. Soak your anal region in warm water, several times a day to get lasting relief.
- Applying cold packs or ice packs and compressing the swollen area can reduce the swelling and can help relieve the pain.
- Make sure to keep the anal region and its surroundings clean and dry. Excess moisture in the region can cause irritation.
- Ask your doctor to prescribe you with some stool softeners to ease the pain while passing stools. Although consuming stool softeners is better to be avoided.
- Ensure to stay hydrated and consume fiber-rich food to tackle hemorrhoids.