Peptic ulcers are painful sores in the stomach and duodenum. The burning sensation in the middle of the abdomen, between the chest and the belly button area, a typical pain associated with ulcer makes it very easy to diagnose. Despite that few still might ignore this main symptom and other associated symptoms of ulcer. This ignorance leads to complication of peptic ulcer. What are the complications? Let us check.
By now we all know what causes Peptic ulcer. Let me recap for you the factors that contribute to peptic ulcer. They are,
- Genetic – A definitive family history of having Ulcer
- Excessive alcohol (drinking) and Smoking
- Use of drugs not prescribed by doctors – Improper dose of antibiotics, painkillers, steroids and blood thinners (aspirin)
- Infection of Helicobacterium Pylori is also supposed to cause Ulcers.
- Prolonged illness can also cause stomach ulcer. This is called Stress Stomach Ulcer.
- Overage – Risk of Ulcer increases with age. Generally it is said that people over 50 have more risk of Peptic Ulcer.
Every ailment has a moderate start and peptic ulcers are no exception to the rule. 90% of the people present themselves to the doctor only after complaining of pain. The pain could either be mild / dull or intense or a rather slowly progressing pain on the upper abdomen area. Generally a feeling of a heart burn should ring alarm bells. More clearly, if there is a burning sensation or pain somewhere in between the chest and the belly button; it can be signs of ulcer. The burning sensation or pain either lasts for few minutes or can last for few hours. This sensation of course can recur.
Ulcer not only affects the stomach lining, the upper part of the small intestine may also receive such ulcers. Ulcer may also occur in Esophagus (food pipe), rectum and other GI parts also. Ulcer to the stomach and the upper small intestine is medically referred as Peptic Ulcer.
We all carry a mobile phone. Our phones often receive scratches on its screen as they undergo wear and tear. The advent of scratch guards termed “Tempered Glass Screen Protector”, was indeed a blessing to the mobile phones. There were no scratches whatsoever for the regular wear and tear. It is commonly understood that abusing this tough screen protector deliberately, would absolutely lead to damaging the phone. Now compare this.